If you do enough internet stumbling, you'll come across a website called FutureTimeline.net. Using detailed research, it has created a speculative timeline for the future. I've gone and put together a list of the technologies found on the site that we will supposedly be using by the end of the century.
Sit back, relax and take a look at how we will be living over the next 100 years.
1. In 2016, Russian space group, Orbital Technologies, will launch the first space hotel. The four-room guesthouse will orbit 217 miles above Earth and will cost $1 million for a five day stay and the flight up.
2. We will also have self-regulating artificial hearts that will be made available after a period of successful clinical trials.
3. In 2018, complex surgeries will be performed by robots. South Korea will be the industry leader, with almost every hospital in the nation using them routinely.
4. In 2020, the next major cellular wireless standard, 5G, will be adopted.
5. In 2025, vertical farms will become widespread in urban areas. An urban site of just 1.32 hectares can produce the same quantity as 420 hectares of conventional farming.
6. In 2029, human-like A.I. will become a reality and the first computer will pass the Turning Test.
7. In 2030, hypersonic airliners will start to enter commercial use. Planes will be able to travel at Mach 5 - 3,800 mph - enabling them to fly from Europe to Australia in less than four hours.
8. In 2040, virtual telepathy will have been perfected after decades of continued progress. It will reshape the way humans interact with one another.
9. In 2050, the average computer will have the processing power equivalent to all human brains on Earth combined. There is no longer a clear distinction between human and machine intelligence.
10. In the 2050's, the ability to manipulate DNA will allow wealthy parents to create their 'perfect' baby. By picking and choosing their best hereditary traits, the embryo can be programmed with these characteristics and be grown in an artificial uterus.
11. In 2060, invisibility suits will be used by the military after advances in metamaterials and nanotech.
12. In 2070, flying cars will become widespread after initial use in military applications. Since traffic will be decentralized, along with the large availability of airspace, this method of transportation will be extremely safe.
13. We will also have fully automated homes. Each new home will feature a localized power supply, on-site water production and waste management, air purification systems, interactive surfaces and intelligent, self-maintaining appliances.
14. By 2090, the average person will have access to biotechnology implants and personal medical devices. This includes artificial organs, bionic eyes and ears, augmented intelligence and synthetic blood that can provide an hours' worth of oxygen in a single breath.
And finally, here's one you will really appreciate.
15. By the end of the century, employees will work an average of 20 hours per week. This is due to the growth of personal manufacturing and intelligent computer systems. A cultural shift, which places more emphasis on free time and creative pursuits rather than work or material gain, will also influence this trend.
Which one was your favorite? As always, let us know in the comments!
MORE YOU MIGHT LIKE: